Terms and Conditions of Use
Ownership of copyright
The copyright in Iowa Starting Line and the material on Iowa Starting Line (including without limitation the text, computer code, artwork, photographs, images, music, audio material, video material and audio visual material on this website is owned by Patrick Rynard (the “Copyright Owner”), unless indicated otherwise.
Copyright Owner grants to you, the reader, a world-wide non-exclusive royalty-free revocable license to do the following, provided that in making the uses permitted below you maintain all copyright, trademark and, and other proprietary rights:
- View this website and the material on this website on a computer or mobile device via a web browser;
- Copy and store this website and the material on this website in your web-browser cache memory; and
- Print pages from this website for your own personal and non-commercial use.
Copyright Owner does not grant you any other rights in relation to this website or the material on this website. In other words, all other rights are reserved. You may not otherwise use, reproduce, download, store, post, modify, sell or make available to the public content from Iowa Starting Line without the prior written approval of the Copyright Owner, with the exception of common social media sharing methods.
Requests for permission to use the copyrighted materials on this website beyond the uses authorized here should be addressed to Patrick Rynard at IowaStartingLine@gmail.com.
Linking to the Website and Content
You may hyperlink to the home page of Iowa Starting Line and interior pages unless the hyperlink dilutes or tarnishes the copyright in the website or the material posted on it, except that you may not hyperlink Iowa Starting Line to sites that contain infringing or illegal content that could make Iowa Starting Line or Copyright Owner susceptible to criminal prosecution or civil litigation in the United States or in a foreign venue; and
Inline linking or framing is permitted provided you maintain all copyright, trademark and, and other proprietary rights in the Iowa Starting Line materials. Copyright Owner reserves the right to withdraw the license for this use if the Iowa Starting Line materials are being used for commercial gain, for advertising purposes other than those authorized by the Copyright Owner. Inline linking or framing is not permitted on sites that contain infringing or illegal content that could make Iowa Starting Line or Copyright Owner susceptible to criminal prosecution or civil litigation in the United States or in a foreign venue .
You may not remote link to Iowa Starting Line.
Claims of Copyright Infringement & the Digital Millenium Copyright Act
Copyright Owner respects the intellectual property rights of others and is committed to complying with U.S. copyright laws. If you believe that any material appearing on Iowa Starting Line, including material posted by a third party, violates your copyrights, please report this to the Copyright Agent. In notifying us of what you believe is an infringement of a copyright, please provide the following Digital Millenium Copyright Act (“DMCA”):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as address,;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
If you have uploaded material to Iowa Starting Line which we have removed, and you believe the removal was in error as a result of mistake or misidentification, you can file a counter notification under the DMCA. Such counter notice must provide the following information:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- A statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification;
- Your name, address, telephone number and email address, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the subscriber’s address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the subscriber will accept service of process from the person who provided notification or an agent of such person.
Copyright Agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement on its website is Patrick Rynard. He may be reached as follows:
Attention: Patrick Rynard
Infringement of Copyright in Iowa Starting Line
Copyright Owner will enforce his rights in the copyrights of materials appearing in Iowa Starting Line and seek redress for violation of the license for use granted above to the full extent of the law. He may, at his discretion, seek voluntary removal of copyrighted material from publication in other sources (electronic and print), exercise rights under the DMCA, if applicable, or bring legal action to seek appropriate relief for the infringement.
If you become aware of an actual or possible infringement of Copyright Owner’s copyright in material appearing in Iowa Starting Line, or an actual or possible violation of the license granted above, contact Patrick Rynard at IowaStartingLine@gmail.com.
- What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the web site, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your data.
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
Patrick Rynard and Iowa Starting Line (“Operators” or “we”) are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to and collect information that you voluntarily give us in subscribing to the website, in posting comments on our web site or other social media (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest), in sending us emails and other direct contacts from you. We will not sell or rent your information to anyone.
Your information will not be provided to any third party except:
- After we receive your informed consent to do so;
- As necessary to respond to you regarding any reason you contacted us; and
- As necessary for a third party provider to perform tasks on our behalf in relation to maintenance and operation of the web site; and
- If we believe doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or valid legal process. It we are going to release your information under such circumstance, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance, if we have a means to contact you, unless we are prohibited by court order from doing so.
Your Access to and Control Over Information
You may opt out of any future contacts with the web site at any time. You can contact us at any time by the email address on the web site regarding the following:
- See what information or data we have about you, if any.
- Change or correct any information or data we have about you.
- Have us delete any information or data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your information or data.
Content Posted by You Is Public Information
This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the policy statements of any other site that collects personally identifiable information.
Your computer does not have to be set to “accept cookies” to access and navigate Iowa Starting Line. You may set your internet browser to “not accept” any cookies or you may set it to block cookies from this site.
Some of the web pages linked to this web site may contain cookies. We have no access to or control over those cookies or the cookie policies of such sites.
We have adopted commercially reasonable, technical, physical and administrative procedures to see that your personal information is protected both online and offline.
By accessing this site you are agreeing to the terms and conditions set out below.
Iowa Starting Line is a news site providing information, education, opinion and entertainment relating to the Iowa Caucus and Iowa politics. Its purpose is to provide its users general information, understanding, and the ability to learn about the Iowa Caucus and politics in Iowa. It is not offered or intended to be used as specific political advice, or to be relied on as such.
To the extent that articles appearing on Iowa Starting Line express an opinion, it is solely the opinion of Patrick Rynard, unless stated otherwise. Factual information appearing on the site is a combination of first hand knowledge (such as attendance at events on which articles are written) and third party sources, which can consist of interviews, public relations material provided by the sources, matters reported on in the media, and other sources. No representations are made as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site. Patrick Rynard and Iowa Starting Line will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from materials appearing on Iowa Starting Line. All information, from whatever source, is provided on an as-is basis.
Iowa Starting Line may also include materials to the site in the form of text, comments, images, videos, and audio files (“User Submissions”). Unless stated otherwise, Iowa Starting Line and Patrick Rynard does not pre-screen User Submissions, edit it, refuse to include it on the site because of the viewpoint expressed (except as noted in the section “User Submission Agreement” below), or check the correctness or validity of factual information it contains. Iowa Starting Line and Patrick Rynard do not endorse User Submissions or make representations concerning the correctness and accuracy of information contained in that content. Patrick Rynard and Iowa Starting Line do not assume any liability for User Submissions.
Iowa Starting Line complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998. No one under the age of 13 may create an account with Iowa Starting Line or use any part of the site that requires the submission of personally identifiable information, such as email, name or username. This includes posting comments to the site. Any subscription account created by a person under 13 will be terminated and any User Submissions posted by a person under 13 will be removed from the site. These provisions will not apply to a person under the age of 13 for whom a verifiable parental consent that complies with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 has been received.
Iowa Starting Line may only be accessed and used for lawful purposes. It may not be used:
- In a manner which is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent, or harmful;
- In connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent of harmful activity or for such a purpose
- In a manner that could make Iowa Starting Line or Patrick Rynard susceptible to criminal prosecution or civil litigation in the United States or in a foreign venue;
- In violation of the Iowa Starting Line Copyright Notice or Privacy Statement;
- In violation of the Iowa Starting Line Terms and Conditions of Use;
- In a manner that causes, or may cause, damage to the site, impair its availability, or affect the accessibility of the site. This includes, but is not limited to, using the site to copy, store, transmit, send, or distribute spyware, computer viruses, or malicious computer software of any type.
Users who violate the terms and conditions of the Acceptable Use of Iowa Starting Line agree to indemnify, hold harmless and defend Patrick Rynard and Iowa Starting Line against any losses, damages, liabilities, expenses, payments to third parties assessed as damages or in settlement of a dispute or claim, and attorney fees and costs incurred by Patrick Rynard or Iowa Starting Line arising out of any breach of the terms and conditions of Acceptable Use of the site.
User Submission Agreement
A user who submits content to Iowa Starting Line, for whatever purpose, agrees as follows:
- User submitting content for publication on the site warrants and represents that he or she has all relevant copyright, trademark and intellectual property rights to the content to make it available on Iowa Starting Line or a well-reasoned belief that the submission of the material constitutes “fair use” of the material under the applicable copyright, trademark or intellectual property rights law. To the extent one submits material as “fair use” material or material submitted with the permission of the copyright, trademark or intellectual property right owner, he or she represents that the attributions and/or permissions accompanying the User Submissions are complete and accurate.
- User submitting content for publication on Iowa Starting Line grants Patrick Rynard and Iowa Starting Line a license to publish the content on Iowa Starting Line and for Patrick Rynard and Iowa Starting Line to sub-license the rights to the material in accordance with the license granted and uses permitted under the Iowa Starting Line Copyright Notice.
- Iowa Starting Line reserves the right to refuse to publish User Submissions or to remove User Submissions at their discretion. As a general rule, User Submissions meeting the guidelines for submission will not be omitted because of the viewpoint expressed. The guidelines for submissions are: (1) Profanities and foul language are not absolutely prohibited but will be closely monitored for appropriateness to the statement being conveyed by the submission. (2) Hate speech, i.e., speech that offends, threatens, or insults groups based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability, is not allowed; (3) Threats against persons, groups or organizations are not allowed; (4) Personal attacks, particularly of a vitriolic nature, are not allowed; (5) Spam and commercial advertisements are not allowed; (6) Comments should be on topic and not unduly lengthy. In addition to refusing to publish or removing User Submissions, Iowa Starting Line reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to return material that violates the guidelines for submission to the person submitting it with the opportunity to edit it to meet the guidelines for submission.
- Comments, suggestions, ideas and questions submitted to Iowa Starting Line which are not intended to be visible on the site, become property of Patrick Rynard and Iowa Starting Line. Unless the use or license to use such comments, suggestions, ideas and questions expressly limits their use or the license granted for use at the time the material is conveyed to Patrick Rynard or Iowa Starting Line, title, interest and any related intellectual property rights in the material are assigned and granted to Patrick Rynard.
- A person violating the User Submission Agreement agrees to indemnify, hold harmless and defend Patrick Rynard and Iowa Starting Line against any losses, damages, liabilities, expenses, payments to third parties assessed as damages or in settlement of a dispute or claim, attorney fees and costs incurred by Patrick Rynard or Iowa Starting Line arising out of any breach of the terms and conditions of the User Submissions Agreement.
No Warranties Made
Iowa Starting Line and Patrick Rynard make no warranties or representations, express or implied, concerning the site. All conditions, representations and warranties, whether express, implied, statutory or otherwise, including any implied warranty of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of third party rights, are hereby disclaimed. Any material or content downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of the site is done at the user’s own discretion and risk and user will be solely responsible for any damage to user’s computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material.
Limitation of Liability
Neither Patrick Rynard, Iowa Starting Line, nor any of its partners, agents, affiliates, third party service providers or content providers shall be liable to users or any third party for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of or related to the use or attempted use of the sites, the services, or the materials on the sites, however arising, whether for breach or in tort, even if Patrick Rynard or Iowa Starting Line was informed of the possibility of such damages. To the extent permitted by law, the liability of Patrick Rynard shall not exceed one hundred dollars ($100.00) in the aggregate for all claims arising from the site.
Changes and Termination
Iowa Starting Line may be modified or terminated at the discretion of Patrick Rynard without notice to the site’s users. On modification or termination, information formerly appearing on the site, including User Submissions, may no longer be accessible by users. Patrick Rynard undertakes no obligation to maintain any content or information related to a user on modification or termination of the site.
The terms and conditions stated in this Terms and Conditions of Use constitute the entire agreement with a user of the site.
Any disputes arising from and relating to Iowa Starting Line shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Polk County District Court.
These Terms and Conditions of Use may be revised from time to time at the discretion of Patrick Rynard. Revised terms will apply to the use of Iowa Starting Line from the date of publication of the revised terms on the site. Users should check the site regularly for the current version. This version is effective February 1, 2015.