Six new Iowa infrastructure projects are on track to have funding thanks to Iowa Rep. Cindy Axne.
The Investing in a New Vision for the Environment and Surface Transportation (INVEST) in America Act passed in the House of Representatives yesterday, and with it, over $21 million of funding for six projects in Iowa’s 3rd congressional district.
Those include funds for upgrades and improvements to public transportation, some specific roads and the replacement of a bridge in Red Oak.
All of these projects have direct funding from the legislation.
“This year, I had the chance to bring Iowa’s tax dollars directly back to our communities to fund the projects we need – and I’m proud to help see funding for projects that will impact all 16 counties of Iowa’s Third District approved by the House today,” Axne said in a press release.
Her colleagues, Republican Reps. Randy Feenstra, Ashley Hinson and Mariannette Miller-Meeks voted against the bill.
Miller-Meeks was the only other representative to submit project requests, and if the bill is signed into law her district will receive the money anyway.
The INVEST in America Act is a five-year reauthorization for infrastructure programs, and it provides $715 billion for the task of repairing and updating infrastructure around the country. This bill also has $32 billion for repairing structurally deficient bridges.
“Repairing our bridges and roads, improving commuter routes and upgrading our mass transit systems are all critical to ensuring Iowa has the infrastructure it needs to grow and thrive for decades to come,” Axne said in her press release.
The specific items Axne pushed for are:
- $7,000,000 for upgrades to the Southeast Connector connecting SE 30th Street to US Route 65 near Des Moines and Pleasant Hill
- $5,000,000 for bus and bus facility upgrades at the Southwest Transit Agency, Western Iowa Transit, Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency, Southwest Iowa Trolley, and the Des Moines Regional Transit Authority
- $4,880,000 for Phase 1 of construction on a Traffic Incident Management Center at Camp Dodge in Johnston
- $2,321,000 for construction of a new Regional Transit Facility for the Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency in Waukee
- $2,000,000 for improvements to the Mills Civic Parkway at S. 91st Street and S. Grand Parkway in West Des Moines
- $700,000 for the replacement of the Red Oak Creek Bridge in Red Oak
by Nikoel Hytrek